Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Top 10 All-Time Favorite Characters in Books

Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is: Top 10 All-Time Favorite Characters in Books.

Now I have to admit, I'm totally stoked about this post. And quite frankly narrowing down my top 10 favorite characters of all time was quite the challenge. And thus, some very loveable characters got left off the list. That's just the nature of the beast when you have a limited number. Also, it must be stated that I struggled drastically with not making this list my top 10 favorite male characters because let's face it, that would have been easy (maybe not) and awesome! Without further ado, my top 10 all-time favorite characters in books:

1. Professor Severus Snape - Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling - Because he’s the perfectly written, self-sacrificing character. Because of unrequited love that never dies even after death. Because he’s one of the truest characters I’ve ever seen written. Because you want so bad to hate him. Because sometimes we do horrible things for the ones we love and take it out on those who survive. I could keep going. Snape is poetry in a human being.

2. Fitzwilliam Darcy - Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - Because only true love and affection can be blasted with pure honesty, evaluate those hurtful words, and use them to change themselves for the better. And because only true love can withstand the inpropriety of Mrs. Bennet.

3. Elizabeth BennetPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – Because who hasn’t misjudged someone else, only to discover that they were completely wrong. Because even though misguided and misunderstood, she stands her ground and sticks to her unwavering character judgment of Darcy and others and I too have been guilty of that.

4. Sean KendrickThe Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater – Because he’s everything that you want a leading man to be. Quiet and brooding. Yet open and vulnerable. Because of his sacrifices. Because it’s beautiful to see when characters (specifically males) have a passion and a love for something or someone that’s so visible to everyone around them.

5. Rose HathawayVampire Academy – Because of the lengths that she will go to for love. Because nothing will stop her from fighting for love and protecting her friends. Because she has no comprehension of the phrase "give up." Because she battled psychos, was kidnapped, lost the love of her life, went on a killing spree, got additicted to a drug of sorts, was kidnapped again, broke into a prison, was framed for mudrer, broke out of a different prison. I mean really...need I say more?

6. Tyrion LannisterA Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin from A Song of Fire and Ice series but specifically this book – Because he’s witty and brilliant. Because he’s haunted and broken. And because he doesn't let either stop him. Because he’s able to laugh at himself. And because he’s the best chess player I’ve yet to see in this game of thrones. And mostly because he’s brave even when he’s not.

7. GabryThe Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan – Because there’s a desperateness about Gabry and her story that grips me like no other story or character has. Because she's terrified and pressed on regardless. Because those I'm a fan of zombie stories, I don't quite want to live in a world where they exist.

8. & 9. Anne Elliot & Captain WentworthPersuasion by Jane Austen – Because time doesn’t heal all wounds. Because sometimes old flames never die. Because Anne is strong and suffers in silence. Because Captain Wentworth can't seem to stray too far from Anne despite being rejected before. Because that scene in Bath...well I can't help but include the contents of one of the best love letters ever.

Captain Wentworth's letter to Anne: I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath.

For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in

F. W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father’s house this evening or never. LOVE!!!!!!!

And finally... 10. Peeta Mellark - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Because all he ever wanted was for Katniss to survive. And because he was willing to sacrifice whatever it took to make sure that happened.

3 comments:

  1. SNAPE. I think he is my ultimate love in books, haha. I don't know what it is, but I've been obsessed with him from the moment I read about him. I always thought he was good: just troubled and I was right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he's definitely a great character. Very well written and completely thought out from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snape appeals on differing depths depending upon the person. To those who have lived similar lives, we feel we know him better than the author at times. I find myself not so much a "fan", as that would be too much like being a fan of myself. Sure, while spewing my history in the form of goofy judgements and colorful vitriol I may cover it with a laugh, but in truth the underlying rage against the sheer unfairness, injustice, and inane useless swill comprising most of society spawns from the same underlying shame, guilt, and total lack of self worth we were taught our entire lives. We often find only one emotion acceptable, and even that we tend to have a blind, hypocritical spot towards. Would Snape say he was a bully, or would he blame the children? Exactly. Despite all his brilliance, he is blind to his own hypocrisy.

    Snape is the extreme Darcy for the abused and bullied who have exceptional capacity for love, but gave up on it long ago; instead building sarcasm as the moat, prejudice as the walls, and unapproachable fury as the gate.

    The Darcy lovers tend to want Snape to save him, to be the special one to show him love and all the things he never had; and he would of course melt into their arms like a bad fanfiction. What they tend to miss, is that it is far too late. His self loathing would always outweigh his love; and in endless self sacrifice and inability to ever believe himself worthy, he would always push away even the impossible dream he stopped dreaming years ago out of genuine and likely correct knowledge that he would be protecting them from himself. He who would never believe himself redeemable would never accept good without the fear of that other shoe balanced precariously; the risk of it falling too great to consider opening the gates. We foolishly hope though, as no one builds a castle who has nothing inside it worth protecting. It is those with the most to offer who are most injured by years of being unwanted, unloved, and unrecognized for their abilities.

    "Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily - weak people, in other words..."
    Severus Snape - (during Occlumency lessons)

    Classic hypocrisy, but I will always defend his imaginary self more than any of the real people I know. Despite all the above, despite being one of those who never really had much of a chance, he made the choice to suffer for years, alone and hated even by the side he was risking his life for; knowing he would likely die an unmarked enemy and traitor to all that is good, he emerges an anti-hero to most, an opportunist with a creepy unrequited crush to those who were raised behind a white picket fence, and the ultimate hero to the few of us who have known little good from humanity, but save it where and when they can...as long as no one is looking of course.

    ReplyDelete