Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2013 EOY Wrap Up & 2014 Goals

2012 was the first year that I set goals for myself and what I hoped to accomplish over the year. I was highly surprised with the amount I was able to accomplish. I think I hit somewhere around 37 goals that year. So I wanted to keep that going in 2013. However looking back, my goals for 2012 were kind of small goals—not too terribly difficult to reach—and the goals I set for 2013 were more of a stretch. Not just my reading goals, but my real life goals as well. While I did accomplish a lot in 2013, by the end of the year I felt a bit stressed out and semi-exhausted. You see, my personality doesn’t just want to achieve my goals. I want to achieve them as fast as possible so that I can mark them off my list as “completed” as soon as possible. I can breathe easier once that’s done. And well that’s good, but too much is well…too much. To be constantly trying to work faster, smarter, quicker, faster, smarter, quicker, faster, smarter, quicker, do more, organize better, read more, post more, comment more, visit more, don’t forget husband, clean house, do more, organize better, read more, post more, comment more, visit more, don’t forget husband, clean house, repeat….It’s well…exhausting. And stressful.

I’ve read many blog posts where bloggers discuss how they’re giving up trying to keep up with other bloggers. They’re tired of stressing out over reading as much as other bloggers and doing a post each and every day. They’re tired of stressing out if they miss a post or don’t reply to every comment. And well, I always wondered how you get to that point. Some of the bloggers I saw talking about how they’re tired of trying to keep up with the “bigger bloggers” are bloggers that I would consider “bigger bloggers”….and I would always wonder “what are you complaining about?” Well that’s not really what this is. I haven’t really felt the need to keep up with other bloggers. BUT I have always been in competition with myself.

And that’s what I’m trying to get through my own head. If I don’t post every day, then I don’t post every day—not to keep up with everyone else, but not to put extra pressure on myself either. If I don’t read more books this year than I did last year, then that’s okay. If I don’t even reach my goal of books read this year, then that’s okay too. If I don’t reply to every comment, that’s okay. If I don’t visit “all the blogs”…my blog isn’t going to self-destruct. And neither am I. Don’t be confused, these are all things I WANT to do. I WANT to post as often as I can. I WANT to read more books each year. I WANT to reach my goals. I WANT to reply to every single comment ever left on my blog. I WANT to visit everyone who visits me and even the blogs that don’t have a clue who I am. But you guys have to understand that I need my sanity. Toward the end of 2013 this has physically affected me with the level of stress I’ve been putting on myself. No one else has been doing this to me. I’ve been doing it to myself. But I know you guys understand because most of you have been there, and those of you who haven’t will probably experience this at some point in your blogging lifetime.

So…let’s look back on what I did accomplish in 2013 and take a look at some realistic and less stressful goals for 2014.

2013 Goals:

1) Read 104 books (2 per week). I read roughly 145 books in 2013. They are listed at the bottom of this post—it’s possible I’m missing one or two. I tried to keep this straight in 4 different locations, but each location had a different number of books, so I know I’m probably off somewhere.

2) Re-read the Bible. Check. 2013 marks the 2nd year in a row that I’ve read through the Bible.

3) Read 6 classics. I read two: Jane Eyre & Pride and Prejudice (re-read).

4) Have 750 GFC Followers. Check.

5) Read 12 books that are currently on my TBR list but not in my possession. Check. They’re noted below.

6) Read a minimum of 5 books about witches &/or witchcraft. Check. Noted below.

7) Read 15 Sequels. Yeah…I kind of blew this one out of the water. All are noted below.

8) Re-read The Power of a Praying Woman by Stormie Omartian. I’m still working on this one. I should finish it soon. But I did re-read The Power of a Praying Wife.

9) Re-read Push by Chalene Johnson. Nope. I ended up letting a friend borrow this one.

10) Read The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss, Entreleadership by Dave Ramsey, The Power of Prayer to Change Your Marriage by Stormie Omartian, and One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. 2 out of 4. 11) Finish The Power of a Praying Church by Stormie Omartian. Check.

Non-blog related goals for 2013 were paying our mortgage to a specific amount, reaching my goal weight, taking a picture each day of the year, and a few others. We did reach our mortgage goal which was MAJOR. I didn’t reach my goal weight—ended up gaining since Halloween. And then while I have definitely taken more pictures this year than the last 3 years (which was ultimately the real goal here), I didn’t actually take a picture every day.

2014 Goals:

1) Re-read the Bible. This will make the 3rd year in a row that I’ve done this. I’d like to keep this up throughout the rest of my life. But for now I’m taking it one year at a time, one day at a time.

2) Continue with increased picture taking.

3) Read 104 books. Same number as last year because I don't want to stress out about this.

4) Read 10-15 Series Enders. See here for more specific goals for this challenge.

5) Relax. Force myself to relax. If I miss a post, relax. If I don’t review a book within the 30 days of publication date, relax. If I don’t respond to every comment, relax. If I don’t read 104 books, relax. If I don’t read 10 series enders, relax. If I miss a wrap up post, relax. Relax, relax, relax.

As always, Husband and I have a couple of more personal goals for real life that I’d rather not post about on here. But this year my focus is on SIMPLIFYING!

Books read in 2013:


Vanish (Firelight, # 2) by Sophie Jordan (Sequel Challenge; 3.5 Stars)
The Fault in our Stars by John Green (Wish List Challenge; 5 Stars)
The Power of a Praying Church by Stormie Omartian (3.5 Stars)
The One that Got Away by Kelly Hunter (3.5 Stars)
Fallen Too Far (Too Far, # 1, Rosemary Beach, # 1) by Abbi Glines (4 Stars)
Love & Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo (Wish List Challenge; 3.5 Stars)
Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, # 2) by Laini Taylor (Sequel Challenge; Wish List Challenge; 4 Stars)
Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, # 1) by Stephanie Perkins (Wish List Challenge; 4 Stars)
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, # 1) by Marissa Meyer (Wish List Challenge; 4 Stars)
The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey, # 2) by Julie Kagawa (Sequel Challenge; 3 Stars)
Ten by Gretchen McNeil (Wish List Challenge; 3.5 Stars)
Notorious NineteeS (Stephanie Plum, # 19) by Janet Evanovich (Sequel Challenge; 3 Stars)
Beg for Mercy (Cambion, # 1) by Shannon Dermott (4 Stars)
Waiting for Mercy (Cambion, # 2) by Shannon Dermott (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks (3 Stars)
The Power of Prayer to Change Your Marriage by Stormie Omartian (4.5 Stars)
No Mercy (Cambion, # 2.5) by Shannon Dermott (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (re-read)
The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, # 3) by Richelle Mead (Sequel Challenge; Witches & Witchcraft Challenge; Wish List Challenge; 4.5 Stars)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (4 Stars)
One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp (4 Stars)
Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks (3 Stars)
Unearthly (Unearthly, # 1) by Cynthia Hand (Wish List Challenge; 4 Stars)
The Struggles of Caregiving: 28 Days of Prayer by Nell E Noonan (3 Stars)
Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, # 2) by Marissa Meyer (Sequel Challenge; Wish List Challenge; 4 Stars)
Love and Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs (4 Stars)
Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, # 1) by Robin LaFevers (4.5 Stars)
The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, # 1) by Julie Kagawa (3.5 Stars)
The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, # 1) by James Dashner (4 Stars)
The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, # 1) by Jessica Sorensen (4.5 Stars)
Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, # 1) by JL Bryan (2 Stars)
Rule (Marked Men, # 1) by Jay Crownover (4 Stars)
Walking Disaster (Beautiful, # 2) by Jamie McGuire (Sequel Challenge; Wish List Challenge; 4 Stars)
The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden (The Coincidence, # 1) by Jessica Sorensen (4 Stars)
Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, # 3) by Cassandra Clare (Sequel Challenge; Wish List Challenge; 4 Stars)
Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, # 1) by Richelle Mead (4 Stars)
Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, # 1) by Katie McGarry (Wish List Challenge; 4 Stars)
Nantucket Blue by Leila Howard (3 Stars)
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, # 1) by Cassandra Clare (re-read; 4 Stars)
Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, # 1) by Veronica Rossi (4 Stars
Gameboard of the Gods (Age of X, # 1) by Richelle Mead (3 Stars)
Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham (3.5 Stars)
A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, # 1) by Bella Forrest (3.5 Stars)
True (True Believers, # 1) by Erin McCarthy (4 Stars)
Never Too Far (Too Far, # 2; Rosemary Beach, # 2) by Abbi Glines (Sequel Challenge; 3.5 Stars)
Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, # 2) by Veronica Rossi (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, # 2) by Julie Kagawa (Sequel Challenge; 2.5 Stars)
Heartless (Tales of Goldstone Wood, # 1) by Anne Elisabeth Stengl (3 Stars)
If I Stay (If I Stay, # 1) by Gayle Forman (4.5 Stars)
This Girl (Slammed, # 3) by Colleen Hoover (Sequel Challenge; 5 Stars)
Belonging (Temptation, # 2) by Karen Ann Hopkins (Sequel Challenge; 3 Stars)
Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend (Confessions, # 2) by Louise Rozett (Sequel Challenge; 3 Stars)
The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, # 1) by Rick Yancey (5 Stars)
The Forever of Ella and Micha (The Secret, # 2) by Jessica Sorensen (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
Existence (Existence Trilogy, # 1) by Abbi Glines (3 Stars)
Falling for Hadie (With Me, # 2) by Komal Kant (Sequel Challenge; 3.5 Stars)
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, # 1) by Richelle Mead (re-read; 4.5 Stars)
Bait (Order of the Spirit Realm, # 1) by KC Blake (3.5 Stars)
Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, # 1) by Leigh Bardugo (4 Stars)
Delirium (Delirium, # 1) by Lauren Oliver (4.5 Stars)
The Power of a Praying Kid by Stormie Omartian (4.5 Stars)
Siege and Storm (The Grisha, # 2) by Leigh Bardugo (Sequel Challenge; 3.5 Stars)
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, # 1) by Rachel Hawkins (Witches & Witchcraft Challenge; 3 Stars)
Rose Under Fire (Code Name Verity, # 2) by Elizabeth Wein (5 Stars)
Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, # 1) by Rachel Caine (3 Stars)
Losing Hope (Hopeless, # 2) by Colleen Hoover (Sequel Challenge; 5 Stars)
Wild Cards (Wild Cards, # 1) by Simone Elkeles (4 Stars)
Hidden (Firelight, # 3) by Sophie Jordan (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers (4.5 Stars)
Crossing the Line (Pushing the Limits, # 1.5) by Katie McGarry (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
Angel of Mercy (Cambion, # 3) by Shannon Dermott (Sequel Challenge; 3 Stars)
Jet (Marked Men, # 2) by Jay Crownover (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
Frostbite (Vampire Academy, # 2) by Richelle Mead (re-read; Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
The Truth About Letting Go by Leigh Talbert Moore (3 Stars)
Fragments (Partials, # 2) by Dan Wells (Sequel Challenge)
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, # 1) by Michelle Hodkin (4 Stars)
Saving Wishes (Wishes, # 1) by GJ Walker-Smith (3.5 Stars)
The Redemption of Callie & Kayden (The Coincidence, # 2) by Jessica Sorensen (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
The Edge of Never (The Edge of Never, # 1) by JA Redmerski (3.5 Stars)
The Truth About You and Me by Amanda Grace (3 Stars)
This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales (3.5 Stars)
The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, # 1) by Jennifer A Nielsen (review coming soon)
Deeper We Fall (Fall and Rise, # 1) by Chelsea M Camerson (4 Stars)
Frigid (Frigid, # 1) by J Lynn (3 Stars)
Erasing Hell: What God said about eternity, and the things we made up by Francis Chan & Preston Sprinkle (4.5 Stars)
Pandemonium (Delirium, # 2) by Lauren Oliver (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle (3 Stars)
Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, # 3) by Richelle Mead (re-read; Sequel Challenge; 5 Stars)
The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, # 2) by Maggie Stiefvater (Sequel Challenge; 3.5 Stars)
Where She Went (If I Stay, # 2) by Gayle Forman (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
Parasite (Parasitology, # 1) by Mira Grant (3 Stars)
Consume (The Clann, # 3) by Melissa Darnell (Sequel Challenge; Witches & Witchcraft Challenge; 3 Stars)
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (4.5 Stars)
Sia by Josh Grayson (2.5 Stars)
Divergent (Divergent, # 1) by Veronica Roth (re-read; 4.7 Stars)
Breaking Nova (Nova, # 1) by Jessica Sorensen (review coming soon)
Deadlocked 3 by AR Wise (Sequel Challenge; 3.5 Stars)
Inhale, Exhale by Sarah M Ross (3 Stars)
The Distance Between Us by Kasie West (review coming soon)
Forever Too Far (Too Far, # 3; Rosemary Beach, # 4) by Abbi Glines (Sequel Challenge; review coming soon to Goodreads only)
Spellbinding by Maya Gold (Witches & Witchcraft Challenge; 2.5 Stars)
These Broken Stars (Starbound, # 1) by Aime Kaufman & Meagan Spooner (4 Stars)
Countdown by Michelle Maddox (3.5 Stars)
Wait for You (Wait for You, # 1) by J Lynn (review coming soon)
Witchstruck (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, # 1) by Victoria Lamb (Witches & Witchcraft Challenge; 3.5 Stars)
Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman’s Soul by John & Stasi Eldredge (5 Stars)
Ten Tiny Breaths (Ten Tiny Breaths, # 1) by KA Tucker (4.5 Stars)
One Tiny Lie (Ten Tiny Breaths, # 2) by KA Tucker (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, # 4) by Richelle Mead (re-read; Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
Origin (Lux, # 4) by Jennifer L Armentrout (Sequel Challenge; review coming soon)
Crash Into You (Pushing the Limits, # 3) by Katie McGarry (Sequel Challenge; 4.5 Stars)
The Edge of Always (The Edge of Never, # 2) by JA Redmerski (Sequel Challenge; 3.5 Stars)
Finding Cinderella (Hopeless, # 2.5) by Colleen Hoover (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
The Bet (The Bet, # 1) by Rachel Van Dyken (3 Stars)
The Wager (The Wager, # 2) by Rachel Van Dyken (Sequel Challenge; 2 Stars)
Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky, # 3) by Veronica Rossi (Sequel Challenge; review coming soon)
Carter Finally Gets It (Carter Finally Gets It, # 1) by Brent Crawford (review coming soon)
Allegiant (Divergent, # 3) by Veronica Roth (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
The Temptation of Lila and Ethan (The Secret, # 3) by Jessica Sorensen (Sequel Challenge; review coming soon)
Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, # 1) by Aimee Carter (3.5 Stars)
Rome (Marked Men, # 3) by Jay Crownover (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
Uninvited (Uninvited, # 1) by Sophie Jordan (review coming soon)
Almost by Anne Eliot (review coming soon)
The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, # 4) by Richelle Mead (Sequel Challenge; Witches & Witchcraft Challenge; 4.5 Stars)
Love & Respect in the Family: The Transforming Power of Love and Respect Between Parent and Child by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs (4 Stars)
Between the Lines (Between the Lines, # 1) by Tammara Webber (review coming soon)
This is How I Find Her by Sara Polsky (4 Stars)
Alienated (Alienated, # 1) by Melissa Landers (review coming soon)
If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, # 1) by Courtney Cole (4 Stars)
The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian (review coming soon)
Forever (Temptation, # 3) by Karen Ann Hopkins (Sequel Challenge; review coming soon)
Sempre (Forever, # 1) by JM Darhower (review coming soon)
Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, # 5) by Richelle Mead (re-read; Sequel Challenge; review coming soon)
If You Leave (Beautifully Broken, # 2) by Courtney Cole (Sequel Challenge; 4 Stars)
Derailed (Derailed, # 1) by Alyssa Rose Ivy (review coming soon)
Breathe (Sea Breeze, # 1) by Abbi Glines (review coming soon);
Because of Low (Sea Breeze, # 2) by Abbi Glines (Sequel Challenge; review coming soon)
Song of the Fireflies by JA Redmerski (review coming soon)

Novellas that I’m not sure count:
Free Four (Divergent, # 1.1) by Veronica Roth
The Meeting (Vampire Academy, # 1.1) by Richelle Mead

No comments:

Post a Comment